Thursday, February 11, 2010

Our Shared Writing Story

This morning in class we wrote a shared story together about our snowy day off from school. I wrote the first sentence, as a story-starter and your children came up with the rest on their own! They were very eager to add to the story. I took dictation of their exact words and it turned into a beautiful story. Read our story below...


The Snowy Day

I woke up and rubbed my eyes, I couldn't believe what I saw, I looked out the window and saw snow! Then I wear my coat and rush outside. We make snowmen. We make snowballs. We fight - a snowball fight. I make a ball and throw to my mommy...hit! I threw it at my mommy. Mommy said "Don't!" I went home and melted ice.

What a great story and they had so much fun sharing their ideas. You can try this at home too, by creating a story with your child. Remember to write their words as they say them - no changes or corrections. Also, it may be best to limit your writing space so you can give your child a visual cue that their story can't meander and go on and on - as you are getting close to the end of your page you can point out that it's time to think of how to wrap up the story. This is also useful in reinforcing the idea that stories have a beginning, middle, and end. Let me know how it goes!

This activity helps develop your child's print awareness, understand the connection between oral and written language, and if you "sound out" the words as you are writing in front of your child, it will help them develop phonological awareness. This is an example of a developmentally appropriate way to support your child's emerging literacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...