Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A horse with Wings, Oh my!

Ever inspired by early childhood educators blogging about their classroom endeavors, I ran across Teacher Tom and his use of storytelling in the classroom. This year, we have a class full of natural storytellers so we gave it a try this morning. During morning arrival activities, I sat with J and S (the first two people to sign up yesterday on our storytelling sign up sheet). I asked them to tell me a story and this is what they had to say...

"One day a horse was flying in the sky and was raining using some books and raining down on people's houses. And people said "what a nice music," so they dance in the sun and run on their houses ceiling. The End." -J

S seemed inspired by J's flying horse as you'll see...

"I'm gonna make a silly one. The horse was jumping off the house and the horse talked. And the horse had wings. And the horse turned into a people. And the horse turned into a shoe. And then the horse turned into a hen. And then the horse turned into a Miss Merril and then turned into a Mrs. Chin. And then it sits and rests. The End." -S

Each child sat beside me while I read their story during our morning meeting. Actually, J is an avid reader already so he took the story right out of my hands and read it to the class. The audience loved the pure silliness of both stories. I asked the class if they thought we should make storytelling a part of our morning routine and we took a vote. We had 16 votes for YES and 2 votes for NO so it looks like it's going to be a part of our morning ritual. I'm curious to see how children respond to writing for an audience. This is something that Teacher Tom talks about in his entry and I'm curious to see how it plays out in our classroom. I'll update with more stories soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...