Tuesday, January 24, 2012

a camera in small hands

We rarely have the opportunity to take on the perspective of another. This is the magic of art, the invitation to see, for a moment, the shadows and light and beauty that another sees. I invited one of the children in class today to photograph her light table creation. I handed her the camera and off she went. When the camera returned to my hands, I could only smile at the many photographs taken. She 'saw' the objects I overlook each day. It's a reminder that there is beauty in simplicity...perhaps even in a garbage can.

I tried to dig for a bit more and engage in a conversation - but this was her language - the language of photos and images. I have been revisiting the idea of '100 languages' this week and have to admit I often look for the language of spoken word but today I am content to simply enjoy one child's perspective.

Enjoy the simplicity and beauty.










1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful Merrill! She took some amazing shots! I think I may try this with my class!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...