Thursday, May 24, 2012

meaningful mail

A friend felt slighted - as though others didn't want to play with him - during outdoor play. He hung his head, unconsoled by pats on the backs and voices asking "are you okay?"

I watched.

After 10 minutes or so of the unrelenting sadness, I felt it would be okay to step in. Sometimes we need life lessons. I can still remember my mother's voice telling me "life isn't easy and the sooner you realize it the easier life becomes." It may sound harsh, but it's true and we all deserve to hear the truth when we're ready to hear it.

I sat with my friends. "You know, sometimes we are going to get upset with our friends and feel sad. But when friends apologize to us we have a choice to make - to forgive or not to forgive them." His friends were truly concerned and didn't mean for him to feel left out. But people can only give so much. After nearly 10 minutes of hoping their friend would rejoin them...well they were about to give up.

"Is there something that would make you feel better" I asked. "A card" he said.

With that, all three boys made him a card or letter.

  a heartfelt letter





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...