Monday, January 17, 2011

winter days inside: let's get creative

Originally, I planned to spend our Monday off from school at the American Folk Art Museum, which I have been wanting to visit for some time. Unfortunately, Mondays seem to be the day of rest in the museum world. So instead I've been rummaging through craft blogs, for myself and for our class. Here are a few of my favorites from my blog journey today...

The Arts


This
inspiring art teacher shares many of her secrets. I've always been intrigued by printmaking but it seemed a bit intimidating. This is a simple (seeming) tutorial on creating monoprints that we will definitely try in class. Try it at home too - I bet you have everything needed to give it a whirl!












The Crafts

Today's craft search grew from my own crafting ambitions, namely I really wanted to try my hand at soap making. After reading some diy soap and lip balm recipes I ordered ingredients from brambleberry. This link leads to a children's soap making kit but you can find lots of diy recipes if you just google "diy soap" or "homemade soap", without needing to buy a kit. I would recommend the melt and pour recipes as they seem simplest for novices.

but there is a a lot you can make with ingredients that are probably in your home cabinets. After I try my hand at soap making at home I may bring this idea into the classroom, if you try at home let me know how it goes!




Even simpler than soap is homemade lip balm, I'm looking forward to trying this

lip balm recipe
as well. I bet most of these ingredients could be tracked down around town. If you know of places to buy beeswax, Shea butter, or Castor oil around town please share with us and leave a comment.












And this is really just fun, any whimsical craft you might be interested in probably has a tutorial. This will be a frequent Site I refer to for myself and for inspiring classroom ideas.

I'm always curious about what you think, leave a comment, email, or catch me at school to chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...